Reading Picture Books: Why I Read Them & Reviews



Reading Picture Books




Okay so I've been wanting to do this post for a while. As some of you may have noticed I've been reading quite a bit of picture books that have counted towards my Goodreads goal. Quite often we think of picture books as tools for younger children, not adults; however, I find that I love picture books just as much as young adult, new adult, and adult books. Here are some of my reasons why:

  • The illustrations in picture books are amazing and really draw the reader into the story. 
  • Sometimes picture books take complex ideas/emotions/general information and break it down into something that's understandable for all ages. 
  • Picture books give back to all age groups and are our first steps into become life-long readers and learners. 
  • There is great interaction between the text and the visuals within picture books. 
With that being said I've learned to really enjoy all that is offered in picture books and I am trying to encourage other readers that I meet through blogging and YouTube that there is quality and purpose in picking up a picture book. Check out some of the reviews below of picture books I've read in the past month or so. 



Summary
Every morning, I play a game with my father.
He goes knock knock on my door and I pretend to be asleep till he gets right next to the bed.
And my papa, he tells me, "I love you."

But what happens when, one day, that "knock knock" doesn't come? This powerful and inspiring book shows the love that an absent parent can leave behind, and the strength that children find in themselves as they grow up and follow their dreams.




My Thoughts/Review: This story...there aren't words to describe how important this story is and how it can aide young children in coping with the loss of a parent due to death, divorce, or incarceration. It was beautifully written and illustrated and dealt thoughtfully with such a difficult topic. I definitely could have used a story like this when I was longer since I lost my dad to divorce. I moved to a completely different state and wasn't able to see him. It took a long time for me to come to terms with that and it some ways I'm still learning. If you are looking for a story to relate to yourself or maybe you need this type of story to aide a younger individual dealing with the loss of a parent I would definitely recommend this picture book. 




Summary
Almost 10 years before Brown vs. Board of Education, Sylvia Mendez and her parents helped end school segregation in California. An American citizen of Mexican and Puerto Rican heritage who spoke and wrote perfect English, Mendez was denied enrollment to a “Whites only” school. Her parents took action by organizing the Hispanic community and filing a lawsuit in federal district court. Their success eventually brought an end to the era of segregated education in California.

My Thoughts/Review
So in my attempt to read more picture books I discovered this little gem and checked this book out from the library and I was so surprised at the fact that I did not know anything about this case until I read this book and like it said in the back more people should know about this case as arguments from it were used in the brown v. board of education case. This is a great educational piece and I'm so upset that it took me so long to find it. The artwork was amazing and I loved the story. This is one book I'm thinking about adding to my collection. If you are looking for more books related to Mexican American history and how they too faced discrimination in the school systems I would definitely recommend checking this out. 


Summary
Are germs gross, or great? Sick Simon learns how to be health-conscious during cold and flu season in this clever picture book from the author-illustrator of The Great Lollipop Caper.

Simon is going to have the best week ever. Who cares if he has a cold? He goes to school anyway, and sneezes everywhere, and coughs on everyone, and touches everything.

Germs call him a hero! Everyone else calls him Sick Simon. When will it end? How far will he go? Will the germs take over, or can Sick Simon learn to change his ways?
 

My Thoughts/Review: Let me start by saying that this book is gross! But it's gross in a good way. It teachers kids (and yes some adults) the importance of washing one's hands and keeping clean as to not spread germs. With that being said the storyline of this picture book is hilarious and the artwork is brilliant. If you are looking for a fun and creative way to teach kids and adults about germs this definitely is the way to go. 


Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment