Top 10 YA Books of the Decade



I can't believe that we are so close to the end of the year! I'm so excited for what 2020 will bring. I thought in celebration of the end of a decade I would discuss my top YA book for each year. The books that I have chosen were published in that year even if I read them later on in my reading life. I hope you enjoy! Let me know your favorite books in the comments below.



Popular Books of 2010:  Mockingjay, Clockwork Angel, Before I Fall, and the Iron King.

My Pick: One of my favorite books that was published in 2010 was Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins. For me this was the epitome of a wonderful paranormal book and I devoured the entire series over the course of a couple of weeks. While I don't know if it'll stand the test of time, I definitely think that I want to re-read it.





Popular Books of 2011: City of Fallen Angels, Clockwork Prince, The Sun of Neptune, Where She Went, Beautiful Chaos

My Pick: Listen, I still feel like this series is slept on by a lot of the bookish community; however, it's one of my favorite series of all times and I've only read two out of the five. I love that it mixes paranormal elements with mythology and also has some amazing characters. If you've seriously never heard of this series take some time to check it out. Check out my review here. 





Popular Books of 2012: The Raven Boys, Insurgent, City of Lost Souls, The Fault of in Our Stars, The Selection, Cinder, Throne of Glass, Grave Mercy, Shadow and Bone, The Darkest Minds 


My Pick: 2012 seems to be the year in which the YA publishing industry exploded. There were so many great books that came out this year that I still loved by so many. Some of these books are in series that were just completed and others now have spin-offs. It's amazing to see how far these books have come. For this year I had to go with the Diviners. It is a part of my favorite series of all time and it feels great to know that the final book comes out next year February. This is one that I always and will always recommend to readers that like a mix of paranormal and historical fiction. 





Popular Books of 2013: Allegiant, Clockwork Princess, Scarlet, The Elite, Unravel Me, Crown of Midnight

My Pick: 2013 was the year of sequels so it was hard for me to find a favorite that wasn't the second or third in a series; however, after a little bit of digging I remembered that Steelheart came out this year. I'm a big fan of Sanderson and Steelheart was the first book that I'd ever read from him. If you're a fan of a twist on the meaning of "superhero" I would definitely recommend checking this one out. Check out my review here. 





Popular Books of 2014: City of Heavenly Fire, The One, Cress, Ignite Me, Heir of Fire, Dreams of Gods and Monsters, The Bane Chronicles, The Infinite Sea, The Winners Curse, Rebel Belle

My Pick: 2014 had some huge continuations of series as well as some conclusions and novellas! This was the first year that I officially got back into reading and started my booktube channel so it was hilarious looking at some of these titles. My favorite book of the month was definitely To All the Boys I Loved Before. It's a part of my favorite contemporary series of all time and I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've watched the Netflix adaptation. It's cute and everything that I love about a YA contemporary romance. 




Popular Books of 2015: Winter, Everything Everyting, Frozen Tides, Red Queen, The Heir, Six of Crows, An Ember in the Ashes, Carry On, The Wrath & the Dawn, Illuminae, Dumplin, Walk On Earth a Stranger

My Pick: I remember Adam before he became a published author so it was fun to see his debut novel come out. I haven't read it in a while and plan to do a re-read soon, but I know that I absolutely loved it and I absolutely enjoyed the LGBT rep that was included. If you're interested check out my review here. 




Popular Books of 2016: Lady Midnight, Heartless, Crooked Kingdom, The Raven King, Truthwitch, This Savage Song, Rebel of the Sands, And I Darken, My Lady Jane, The Star Touched Queen, A Study in Charlotte, The Girl From Everywhere, The Sun is Also A Star

My Pick: Ahhhh this book is so freaking good!! Books can definitely make me feel emotional, but it's rare that I will actually cry and this one made me bawl. I absolutely love it. It's one of my favorite books of all time. This was also a monumental year for me as I started working at the library. 




Popular Books of 2017: Carve the Mark, Caraval, Flame in the Mist, Warcross, Strange the Dreamer, Winterson, The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, One of Us Is Lying, When Dimple Met Rishi, A List of Cages, Eliza and Her Monsters, Geekerella

My Pick: Now ya'll know there was absolutely no way in hell I was going to pick anything but this book. It was the best book of all genres to come out this year and it definitely took the world by storm. I initially read this book in one day as a library copy and instantly knew that I needed to have my own copy. It now sits on my shelf as a signed copy by Angie! Check out my review here. 




Popular Books of 2018: The Cruel Prince, Leah on the Offbeat, To Kill A Kingdom, The Belles, What If It's Us, Furyborn, Heart of Iron, A Girl Like That, American Panda, The Wicked Deep, Love Hate and Other Filters, Dread Nation, Let's Talk About Love, Sea Witch, The Astonishing Color of After, Girls of Paper & Fire, Tyler Johnson Was Here

My Pick: What I loved about 2018 is that we see a significant influx in the number POC that are published authors. In 2010, the market is dominated by white females, but by this year it's looking more diverse. Of course, I couldn't choose any other book to represent this year especially with the sequel coming out this year. I can't wait to see what the rest of this series brings. 






Popular Books of 2019: King of Scars, The Gilded Wolves, We Hunt the Flame, Descendant of the Crane, Sorcery of Thorns, On the Come Up, A Curse So Dark and Lovely, Wicked Saints, Spin the Dawn, The Beautiful, Romanov, With the Fire on High, Call Down the Hawk, The Wicked Fox, The Girl King, I Wish You All the Best, Serpent & Dove


My Pick: I have raved and raved about this book on my booktube channel. It's not one that a lot of people are talking about, but it's definitely one of favorite reads of the year. It's such an important representation of the epidemic that is sweeping through the United States. 


What were some of your favorite YA books of the decade? 



Share:

3 comments:

  1. So fun! I thought about doing something about my favorites (film, books, etc) from the last ten years, but it came down to time, which I simply didn't have. Loved "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" even though I only just read it a year or so ago. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god this list is everything!!! Hex Hall is such a staple of my teen years. I reread it all the time because it is so good. And ahhhh Half-Blood series is my shit!!! It really made me love Jennifer L Armentrout. That was the first series in which I bought all the books at once. And you're so right that series is slept on! To All the Boys I've Loved Before is such a classic trilogy. One of the few ya contemporary books I've enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Diviners is a fantastic pick, I absolutely adore that series. I love looking at all these 'best books of the decade' posts and seeing all the truly incredible books that have come out in just the last decade alone, I can't wait to see what the next decade brings. And thanks for reminding me to pick up Heroine by Mindy McGinnis!

    ReplyDelete