Queen Takes Night by Joely Sue Burkhart

Series: Their Vampire Queen, #1
# of Pages: 190
Publication: October 17th, 2017
Source: Library E-Audio
Genre: Paranormal Erotica
Goodreads | Amazon 
A lost virgin vampire queen. Two vampire knights sworn to protect her. It's about to get very hot... and bloody... Ever since her mother was murdered by monsters five years ago, Shara Isador has been on the run. Alone, scared, and exhausted, she's finally cornered in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Out of hope with nowhere else to turn, she's ready to end it all when two men come to her rescue. They say she's a lost queen descended from Isis, and they're her Blood, vampire knights sworn to protect her. It all seems like a crazy nightmare, until the alpha offers his blood. Then she realizes she's never wanted anything more. Except maybe his body... and his friend's, too. But they're not the only ones searching for a lost queen. Shara must learn how to wield her new powers quickly and conquer her fears if she intends to keep them all alive. This is a MMFFM+ polyam series and Shara will never be forced to choose just one. #whychoose


I love a good vampire story. I love a good romance. I don't know why it took so long for me to read a book that had both components and yes while I've read the Twilight's of the world, Queen Takes Knights is a completely different ball game. The novel focuses on Shara as she's on the run to protect her life from paranormal creatures that have killed her family. She meets two men who explain that she is their long lost vampire queen and they are her knights sworn to protect her with blood and body. They attempt to teach her the ways of vampires as she discovers more about her family. 

"Descended from Isis herself, Shara Isador stood before me, completely unaware of her heritage. Her power. Her legacy. How was that possible?" 

Let me start by saying that I definitely had to suspend my disbelief to really enjoy this novel. There were a few elements that didn't really seem believable when I was listening to the book; however, what I did enjoy was the friendship between the characters and the folklore tied to the vampires of this series. While the meeting of Shara and the two knights wasn't exactly believable, I did enjoy the ways in which they dedicated themselves to protecting her and teaching her about the world of vampires. She's naive and had been through so much by the time she meets them that I was happy to see someone take her under their wing. They give her confidence and guidance in learning more about her family's past as well as what her future would entail being the knew queen of vampires. 



"You're my queen. You're so far beyond alpha that if you ordered me to cease breathing, I'd die trying." 

Although I enjoyed the dynamic between the characters, I found their initial interactions to be quite strange. In the beginning of the novel we find out that Shara is a virgin; however, by the time that she encounters the three men she's willing to engage in full blown sex. To me this doesn't seem like the most realistic situation. While I don't disagree that it could happen, it was written quite awkwardly. She continues to openly have sex with both men which does fit the theme that the author was attempting to reach, "why should you have to choose." I do love that this does represent having a polyamourous relationship because I don't think that's represented often in books and if so this is the first novel that I've read with that representation. 

"I'd never had a boyfriend. Let alone date a full grown man"

Overall, I did enjoy the novel and found it quite interesting. I did listen to this on audio and thought that the narration could have been done a little better, but I'll continue to listen to them on audio because that's the format my library offers them in. 


Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment