Movie Review - Kubo & The Two Strings

Happy Thursday everyone! I'm back with a movie review! : ) I hope everyone is enjoying their week. So today I'll be focusing on the movie Kubo & The Two Strings! It's an animated fantasy movie that definitely didn't get the attention it deserved. 



Director: Travis Knight

Actors/Actresses
  • Art Parkinson: Kubo 
  • Charlize Theron: Monkey/Sariatu
  • Matthew McConaughey: Beetle/Hanzo
  • Ralph Fiennes: Raiden the Moon King
  • Rooney Mara: Karasu and Yukami 
  • George Takei: Hasato 
  • Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa: Hashi 
  • Brenda Vaccaro: Kameyo
Genre: Animated Fantasy

Rating: PG

Brief Plot Analysis: Kubo and the Two Strings is an animated fantasy film that focuses on the story of Kubo, a one-eyed boy who lives in Japan. Kubo mainly spends his days in the village entertaining crowds by manipulating orgami while he tells stories. One of the most prominent stories is that of his missing father, Hanzo. Kubo's mother lays out strict rules preventing him from being outside after dark for the fear that his grandfather or his aunts would come to take his remaining eye. Unfortunately, Kubo ends up disobeying these orders from his mother and ends up on the adventure of a lifetime in which he learns information not only about himself, but also his magic.

Film Features: The animation of the film was brilliant. I love the whole concept of stop and go animation. I don't know what it is, but that type of animation really and truly catches my eye. If
you've never heard of stop and go animation think about Coraline and James and the Giant Peach. I think those could be classified as two really good examples. Another aspect of this film that I really enjoyed was the music. I don't really pay attention to background music in movies unless it's a part of a musical. However, this movie felt as though it was crafted with the music in mind. It was almost like you couldn't appreciate one without the other and I really liked that.

Characters: There were a couple of characters that I really appreciated in this film namely Kubo. He had such a huge heart and he was just one of those characters that you automatically fall in love with and that you're constantly rooting for not matter what the circumstance may be. After a series of events occur (I won't say what happens because of spoilers), Kubo is paired to work with Monkey and Beetle and the dynamic between the three of them is simply amazing. I absolutely loved watching them go on this adventure together and work together. The overall atmosphere of the characters was great and I honestly can't wait to watch the movie again because of them.

Overall Thoughts: Overall, I thought that the movie was AMAZING. I really enjoyed the stop and go animation and the dynamic of the characters. The incorporation of Japanese culture gave the
movie a certain edge and flair. I just think that more animated films should be like this one and I was so disappointed to find out that this movie didn't get the recognition it deserved. As a result, I've been promoting this movie to any that will listen. If you enjoy movies that actually capture your attention, continue fantasy elements, and great characters then I would definitely recommend this one. It also is a great movie for those who are fans of Coraline & James and the Giant Peach.


Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment