Top 10 Tuesday: Books I Enjoy, But Rarely Talk About


Happy Tuesday Everyone! I hope you're all staying safe. Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Artsy Reader Girl. This week we were tasked to select books that we enjoy, but rarely talk about. I had found with this topic as it allowed me to explore some titles that I haven't read in a while. 



A List of Cages. This was such a powerful novel. It's definitely a difficult read, but Robin Roe is such a talented and gifted storyteller. I fell in love the first time I read this book and I wish I talked about it more. Check out my review hereThe Afterlife of Holly Chase. If you're looking for the perfect YA holiday read, I would definitely check this book out. It's a twist on the classic A Christmas Carol. It's been years since I've read it and I haven't really mentioned it to anyone, but it's so good. Choices. If I'm not mistaking, Choices was the first lesbian romance that I've ever read. It was such a good book with beautiful writing and characters. It's definitely a series that I want to continue some time in the future.



Girls Like Us. Oh my goodness. I did not expect to love this book as much as I did. I received an early copy of it for review and I thought it was a brilliant exploration of a woman's right to choice in the 1970s. I definitely don't talk about this book enough. Check out my review hereHeroine. What a powerful and dark book. This book isn't too well known and it isn't one that I talk about a lot, but it was easily one of my favorites of 2019. Hex Hall. I remember when paranormal books used to be the "thing" in the YA community. I absolutely loved Hex Hall and never talked about it after I read it.



 I Am the Messenger. Like many people I often talk about Zusak's other books, but this book is definitely just as amazing and definitely underappreciated. Small Spaces. This was such a creepy book to be a middle grade novel. I could not believe how quickly I fell in love with the story and characters. Check out my review here. Life of Pi. Okay, so this book is pretty well known but it's not a book that I talk about often. Quite honestly, I struggled reading this book, but I fell in love with it. Funny enough, once I finished it I never really talked about it again.


Spelled. If you didn't know I'm a sucker for fairy tale re-tellings. I love when authors are able to take a classic tale and make it their own. This is exactly what Betsy Schow did with Spelled. I loved it, but I never really talk about it and I haven't finished the other three books. Check out my review here
Share:

13 comments:

  1. Choices sounds like such a good read!

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  2. A List of Cages was a tough read. I just wanted to hug Julian and promise he would never be hurt again. His story broke me but I was so glad I'd read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was a tough read. I need to read it again soon!

      Delete
  3. Ooh yes, A List of Cages is so good. I read it last December and I'm STILL brimming about how much I loved the boys' friendship in that one. Adam is one of my favorite male characters in YA of all time.

    I've read several other Mindy McGinnis books but not that one -- I need a multi-year cooldown period after each of her DARKEST MCDARKERSON tales and my strength is not yet restored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I agree! I don't think I'll be able to pick up another one of hers for a little while haha.

      Delete
  4. I've heard such wonderful things about The Afterlife of Holly Chase, and I'm really looking forward to picking it up! Glad to see you enjoyed it, too. I read and enjoyed Small Spaces, too! Felt a lot like a throwback to my youth, but still enjoyable as an adult. have you read Dead Voices yet? I think I liked that one even more than the first book!

    Here's my TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooo I haven't had the chance to read it yet! I need to get to it soon.

      Delete
  5. I own I Am the Messenger and really hope to read that someday soon. I loved Heroine as well - it won the YA Fiction category for the Cybil's Awards!! I also need to read A List of Cages.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life of Pi is one I started but never finished sadly. I just wasn't in the mood for it. I need to go back because I've heard it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think this is a book that you have to be in the mood for!

      Delete
  7. I absolutely loved Small Spaces and Dead Voices too. I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series.

    ReplyDelete