Alex + Ada, Volumes 1-3 by Johnathan Luna & Sarah Vaughn

So usually I do reviews of one book; however, today I wanted to focus on doing a series review. I'll give a synopsis of each graphic novel and then my thoughts on the book as a whole. I hope you enjoy. Please keep in mind that my review of volumes 2 & 3 may contain spoilers as they are the later volumes of the series.


Alex + Ada, Vol. #1: 


Publication: 2014

Pages: 128

Summary: The last thing Alex wanted in the world was an X5, the latest in realistic androids. But after Ada is dropped into his life, he discovers that she is more than just a robot.

My Thoughts/Review:

First I must say that I absolutely loved the art work of this graphic novel collection. It was so rich in color and the drawings were spectacular. The story line was different from anything that I have ever read especially since it fit into the genre of science-fiction. I have seen plenty of movies geared towards AI (Artificial Intelligence); however, this was my first experience with reading text that was geared towards the same information. What I liked about this first novel is that it explained how the characters communicated, what role technology had in society, and how humans were coping with the use of artificial intelligence in the future. The world building gave the reader great insight to what this future community/society looked like. Personally, I found Alex to be an intriguing character, so realistic in the sense that he did not want to utilize artificial intelligence or be associated with artificial intelligence. He wanted to go through his monotonous daily routines without being responsible for looking after such an expensive piece of technology. But his perspective changes when he realizes he might see this new piece of technology as more human than android. In this sudden change of heart, we see Alex become more compassionate and caring. Overall, this volume is a great starting point to how the rest of the series builds.

Rating: 5/5 

Alex + Ada, Vol #2 (**may contain spoilers): 




Publication: 2015

Pages: 128

Summary: Tensions rise between humans and robots in this sci-fi/drama set in the near future. Alex took a huge risk to unlock Ada and it seems to have paid off--Ada can now think for herself and explore life as a sentient android. As Alex and Ada spend more time together, they become closer. But as restrictions tighten on androids, Ada feels unsure about her place in Alex's life and the world.

My Thoughts/Review:

What is most interesting about this second installment of Alex + Ada is the fact that with the unlocking of Ada in Volume 1 she is ultimately allowed to develop into her own person. It is such a beautiful characterization of an individual that was originally just perceived as an android. She gets to learn what she likes and what she dislikes and by doing this the authors make the reader feel as though they are truly part of the experience. I also appreciated the change of tone with this volume. The level of intensity and danger increases as Alex has accessed a level of technology that has been deemed illegal and inappropriate. We see him not only battle the government, but also friends and family. This entire installment assisted me in viewing Ada as a human and not a simple piece of technology and in the same way the reader is given the opportunity to see Alex love and appreciate Ada for who she is and not a store bought hunk of metal.

Rating: 4.5/5

Alex + Ada, Vol. #3 (**may contain spoilers)



Publication: August 2015

Pages: 136

Summary: The last thing Alex wanted in the world was an X5, the latest in realistic androids. But after Ada is dropped into his life, he discovers that she is more than just a robot. lex took a huge risk to unlock Ada and it seems to have paid off--Ada can now think for herself and explore life as a sentient android. As Alex and Ada spend more time together, they become closer. But as restrictions tighten on androids, Ada feels unsure about her place in Alex's life and the world. In this final arc, Alex and Ada struggle against the growing hatred for sentient robots and their human allies. Can they survive what's around the corner?

My Thoughts/Review:  As a conclusion to the entire series, I felt as though this installment was a tad bit rushed. It was almost as if the authors built up this tension between androids and humans to simply lead to an almost anti-climatic resolution. The plot changed and followed in a direction I did not expect nor did I see coming. I wanted the characters to me more involved with the changing perspective on the relationship between androids and humans. Although it was beautifully constructed, I did not feel as close of a relationship to the characters as I did in the first two volumes. The initial fate of Alex and Ada in this volume almost seemed like an easy way out. Nevertheless, it was a solid conclusion to the entire series and I deeply miss the characters that I got to know over the span of these three volumes.

Rating: 4/5
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment