Author Spotlight: Jenny Han

Name: Jenny Han

About Author: Jenny Han was born and raised in Richmond Virginia and attended the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill to obtain an undergraduate degree. Following this she received a Masters Degree of Fine Arts in creative writing from New School.

Han is best known for her ability to write intriguing contemporary summer reads that exhibit teen angst, growth, and love. She published her first novel Shrug, a middle-grade novel, while she was still in college in 2006 which produced a series of positive reviews.

Published Works:

  • Shrug (2006)
  • Clara Lee and the Apple Pie Dream (2011)
  • The Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy
    • The Summer I Turned Pretty (2009)
    • It's Not Summer Without You (2010)
    • We'll Always Have Summer (2011)
  • Burn for Burn Trilogy 
    • Burn for Burn (2012)
    • Fire with Fire (2013)
    • Ashes to Ashes (2014)
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before Duology
    • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2014)
    • P.S. I Still Love You (2015)
My Recommendation: 
Jenny Han is probably one of my favorite contemporary authors. Her novels are extremely easy to relate to as the chronicle the journey of young adults through some difficult issues including figuring out their love life. Her books are perfect for beach reads especially her The Summer I Turned Pretty trilogy. If you are looking for a new contemporary author that exhibits the ability to give her characters life and personality then I would look no further than Ms. Han. 


Share:

2 comments:

  1. I've only read one book by Han and that was To All the Boys I've Loved Before. And I felt like I was the only person who didn't just *love* it. To me, the main character came across as much, much younger than her age and I found it so difficult to connect with her. Just wasn't impressed. But that being said, I've heard wonderful things about The Summer I Turned Pretty trilogy. I own the books and have been hesitant to read them (since I didn't like TATBILB) but maybe I should give them a try. It's definitely the right season for them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I think TALBILB is one of those books you either love or hate haha :) But definitely give The Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy a try. Most people love those to be honest.

      Delete