Friday #56, #28 American Street by Ibi Zoboi


The Friday #56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's VoiceJoin in every Friday and share an excerpt from a book you've been reading. Here are the rules:

  • Grab a book 
  • Turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader
  • Find any sentence (or a few, don't spoil it) 

**Be sure to post the links to your Friday #56 below!



Happy Reading!


So this week I've been currently reading one of my anticipated reads for the year and it's American Street by Ibi Zoboi. It's an #ownvoices book that focuses on a young girl who is forced to navigate Detroit on her own after her mother is detained in the airport when they are trying to immigrate from Haiti to America. It's gritty and often makes the reader uncomfortable, but so far I'm really enjoying it and I can't wait to give you guys my full insight to the book as a whole. 

"I do as she says. She takes the Bible and pats the seat next to her on the bed. I sit beside her and feel warm against mine. It almost feels like my mother's almost." 





On the corner of American Street and Joy Road, Fabiola Toussaint thought she would finally find une belle vie—a good life.

But after they leave Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Fabiola’s mother is detained by U.S. immigration, leaving Fabiola to navigate her loud American cousins, Chantal, Donna, and Princess; the grittiness of Detroit’s west side; a new school; and a surprising romance, all on her own.
Just as she finds her footing in this strange new world, a dangerous proposition presents itself, and Fabiola soon realizes that freedom comes at a cost. Trapped at the crossroads of an impossible choice, will she pay the price for the American dream? 
Share:

16 comments:

  1. I want to read this one so bad. I'd love to see more immigrant stories in general. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I've been really wanting to read this one! So glad you're enjoying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This certainly sounds timely. I'm intrigued.
    My Friday post features The Pecan Man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got me by the cover. This book is definitely on my TBR pile. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I want to read this. Any time an author can make me feel unsettled, I know I've found a winner.

    My Friday 56 from Beautiful Broken Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha then this definitely will be a good choice for you

      Delete
  6. Happy reading! I'm really looking forward to this myself.

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think if you read it any time soon! : )

      Delete
  7. This sounds like one where I would be always worried about the characters. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSAIJK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a book where you are constantly worrying about the characters, but it definitely is enjoyable.

      Delete
  8. Sweet 56! I'm sold! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete