Wink, Poppy, Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke

Series: N/A
# of Pages: 247
Publication: March 22nd, 2016
Source: Library E-Audiobook
Genre: Realistic Fiction/Mystery
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Sassy, comical, and true-to-life, this book tells the tale ofthree young African-American women--perky wife Valerie, scheming social worker Inda, and broken-hearted flight attendant Chiquita--and how their lives are coming together, and apart, in Los Angeles. Fresh and in-your-face, this witty novel depicts a world where women sometimes have to alter their dreams, but never have to stop embracing the future.





This was the strangest book that I’ve ever read. I went into it blind without reading the description so I was confused for about 60% of the book. It was basically written to teach people that humans are never as they appear especially when it comes to personality; however, this was a fact that I already knew so I didn’t really learn anything from the book. I can say that the plot twist did, in fact, catch me by surprise. I did not see it coming, but it still didn’t do anything for the plot.

What I did enjoy about the novel was the mysterious atmosphere. These three characters clearly have some weird things going on and it shows in their personal accounts and interactions with other humans. I think that each one of them played an integral part to the overall plot; however, I definitely could have done without Poppy. That girl, oh goodness, was the worst character that I’ve ever encountered in any YA book. Even after her story reached a conclusion and resolution, I still didn’t like her. Wink and Midnight proved that they weren’t memorable. Even as I’m writing this review I can’t really tell you anything about them except the fact that Wink was obsessed with books and fairy tales and Midnight got himself caught in a love triangle.

I understand what the author was attempting to do with this novel; however, I think that she attempted to provide an audience with a topic that is already well known. This may be good for readers who may not understand that humans are multi-dimensional; however, I don’t know too many people who don’t already know that. I guess I was expecting more from this novel. I knew that it had low ratings, but I wanted to give it a chance. And I’m glad I did because at the end of the day now I understand why people hated it so much. I don’t think I’ll be reading too much of anything else from this author unless someone gives me a superb recommendation to something else she has written. I did listen to this on audiobook which gave it a more dynamic feel. I liked that there was three different narrators to represent all of the characters. I won’t say don’t read this book; however, I don’t recommend it.



April Genevieve Tucholke is the author of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, Between the Spark and the Burn, and Wink Poppy Midnight. She also curated the horror anthology Slasher Girls & Monster Boys. She has received five starred reviews and her novels have been chosen for the Junior Library Guild, Kids' Indie Next picks, and YALSA Teens Top Ten. When she's not writing, April likes walking in the woods with her two cheerful dogs, exploring abandoned houses, and drinking expensive coffee. She has lived in many places around the world, and currently resides in Oregon with her husband.

Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment