Friday #56, #40 The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


The Friday #56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's VoiceJoin in every Friday and share an excerpt from a book you've been reading. Here are the rules:

  • Grab a book 
  • Turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader
  • Find any sentence (or a few, don't spoil it) 

**Be sure to post the links to your Friday #56 below!

Happy Reading!!


So this week I'm working on another book for grad school. We received certain categories and we had to pick a book from each category. For one of the categories I decided to pick the Book Thief. I've heard so many good things about this novel and I love anything that takes place during WWII. I also heard that it is heartbreaking so I'm trying to prepare myself for it. So far the book is really interesting and I'm truly enjoying it. If you haven't had the opportunity to read this book I definitely would recommend picking it up as soon as possible. 


"Whenever she walked to and from school now, Liesel was on the lookout for discarded items that might be valuable to a dying man. She wondered at first why it mattered so much. How could something so seemingly insignificant give comfort to someone. A ribbon in the gutter. A pinecone on the street. A button leaning casually against a classroom wall. A button leaning casually against a classroom wall. A flat round stone from the river. If nothing else, it showed that she cared, and it might give them something to talk about..." 


A story about, among other things: A girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul. Winner of the 2007 BookBrowse Ruby Award.

Winner of the 2007 BookBrowse Ruby Award. 

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist – books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau. This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.





Share:

3 comments:

  1. I loved this film but haven't read the book. Everyone tells me too though, so I probably will at some point. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved this one - I definitely want to see the movie some time. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading this one soon. Here is a link to my Friday 56: https://coffeeandcatsblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/06/friday-56-47/

    ReplyDelete