DC Universe: Rebirth, Omnibus by Various Authors/Artists

Published: December 13, 2016
# of Pages: 476
Source: Library Copy 


In June 2016, DC Comics started each one of their comics from #1, preceded by a special Rebirth issue. Flagship titles such as SupermanBatmanJustice LeagueThe Flash, & Wonder Woman started anew, with a Rebirth special issue signaling the start of a new era.
Written and illustrated by top talent including Geoff Johns (Justice League) and many more top talents in the industry, the DC Universe: Rebirth, Omnibus is a perfect starting point for any new fan and a great gift item for any hardcore collector.

CollectingDC Universe: Rebirth, The Flash: Rebirth, Titans: Rebirth, Batman: Rebirth, Aquaman: Rebirth, Green Arrow: Rebirth, Justice League: Rebirth, Wonder Woman: Rebirth, Green Lanterns: Rebirth, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Rebirth, Nightwing: Rebirth, The Hellblazer: Rebirth, Superman: Rebirth, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey: Rebirth, Red Hood and the Outlaws: Rebirth, Blue Beetle: Rebirth, Deathstroke: Rebirth, Supergirl: Rebirth, Suicide Squad: Rebirth, Batman Beyond: Rebirth, Cyborg: Rebirth, Teen Titans: Rebirth
 


So if you guys didn't know by now (which I'm sure you do) I'm a huge fan of comics. And when I say huge fan, I mean that no comic book is off limits to my range of curiosity. What I do struggle with however is keeping up with the two big companies DC and Marvel. While I love a good superhero comic, these two companies have been putting out comics for decades so it makes it particularly difficult to even know where to begin with their characters. I never know which story arc to address or which characters to begin with. Nevertheless, I attempted to keep up with DC's New 52 which was a reboot of their old lines. I did ok at first, but then I got confused again so with the launch of Rebirth I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for me to jump in and begin with a fresh line of characters. In doing this I decided to pick up their omnibus of the Rebirth issues of all their
characters. And I definitely can say it was an interesting journey. It's difficult to actually review this omnibus as a whole so I'm going to go through and tell you what I thought of each character's rebirth. It won't be long, just a few sentences about how I felt in regards to each read. 

  • DC 
  • Universe Rebirth #1: Holy crap this was AMAZING. I had no idea that the ending was coming and it actually made sense once I got to the end. I will say absolutely nothing about this issue simply because it would spoil everything; however, if you do decide to read the new Rebirth line this is a must. It is the bridge between New 52 and Rebirth and will help you understand why certain things have happened and changed in the lives of the characters of this line. 
  • Batman Rebirth #1: I've never been a huge Batman fan so I won't say this is appealed to me particularly, but it was an interesting read and I really enjoyed the artwork. 
  • Superman Rebirth #1: Okay so this one was both interesting and confusing and to my knowledge after doing some research on the web, I figured out that there are some issues of Superman from New 52 that I need to read. Essentially we're looking at a conflict between two versions of Superman. One Superman is the original pre-52 version and the other is the post-52 Superman. It's extremely confusing, but I'm invested in figuring it out. 
  • Wonder Woman Rebirth #1: I love love love Wonder Woman. It doesn't matter which line or version of her I'm reading so I'm definitely looking forward to picking up the trade paperbacks of her story line. 
  • The Flash Rebirth #1: The Flash family plays such a big role in this entire reboot so it's essential to read them. To be honest, I really enjoyed reading about the Flash and the Flash family in all aspects of this omnibus. There powers are essentially unique and strong and I find it extremely fascinating that a lot of the dynamics of this world revolve around them. 
  • Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns Rebirth #1: Yea I'm not a Green Lanterns fan so this definitely didn't do anything for me. I've read some stuff before and I've really never enjoyed it. 
  • Aquaman Rebirth #1: I'm a huge fan of Aquaman. I think he's definitely an underrated
    superhero and he definitely has it difficult being split and underappreciated by two worlds. 
  • Green Arrow Rebirth #1: Very fast paced and really interesting character. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. 
  • Cyborg Rebirth #1: This is one that I definitely don't have much interest in continuing. The story was dry and I barely found the energy to finish it. 
  • Green Lanterns Rebirth #1: Once again I'm not a fan of the Green Lantern line to begin with so I didn't really enjoy this issue. 
  • Justice League Rebirth #1: What is more enticing than reading about all the superheroes in one issue? I find everything about the Justice League interesting. It's even more interesting considering that there are certain elements that make it difficult for them to be the Justice League. I won't say what the elements are because of the fact that it would give away exactly what defines this reboot as the rebirth. 
  • Nightwing Rebirth #1: I'm not sure how I feel about this one. In fact, I don't really have the words to describe my experience with this issue, but it intrigued me enough to want to continue. 
  • Titans Rebirth #1: This started off as one of my favorites out of the entire omnibus only because I'm a huge fan of Wally West and it was great to see the Teen Titans as adults; however, I recently read the first trade paperback of this story line and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I won't say too much about it simply because I don't want to spoil it; however, I think that I will continue it. 
  • Batgirl and Bird of Prey Rebirth #1: I have only two words for this one: girl power. And I enjoyed every minute of it. 
  • The Hellblazer Rebirth #1: Yes! This is everything I wanted and more. It was exciting, fun, and hilarious. And it was great to learn how the typical superheroes fit into Constantine's life. 
  • Red Hood & The Outlaws Rebirth #1: This issue simply proved to me my lack of knowledge about DC characters. I had no idea that the Batman family had so many components to it. The story was new and fresh to me and I actually really enjoyed it which surprised me considering I'm not a huge fan of Batman. 
  • Suicide Squad Rebirth #1: Yes! How could I not enjoy something related to our favorite anti-heroes ! I really enjoyed the story behind this issue and the artwork was phenomenal. 
  • Deathstroke Rebirth #1: Nope. Nada. This wasn't for me and I have no interest in continuing with this character. 
  • Supergirl Rebirth #1: This was extremely interesting for me considering I didn't know anything about Supergirl before jumping into this issue. I enjoyed it for what it was and I definitely will be looking to reading the first volume of her story line. 
  • Blue Beetle Rebirth #1: This is another character that I didn't know much about before reading the omnibus. While I enjoyed the artwork, the story just didn't pull me in and I highly doubt that I'll be picking up anything else related to this character. 
  • Teen Titans Rebirth #1: This was great!  I mean amazing! I loved everything about it. Because of the time shift and changes it was really interesting to see how this characters ended up together once again. It got me really excited to check out the complete volume of their rebirth. 
  • Batman Beyond Rebirth #1: Once again, I'm not a huge Batman fan so this one didn't really draw me in the way I thought it would. I'll be interested to see where the story is going to go.
As you can see this omnibus was complex and I had a lot of thoughts about it. It's going to be tricky keeping up with the line as a whole, but I'm going to try my best. There are some that I'm clearly interested in reading and others that I have absolutely no interest in. Hopefully I'll be able to keep you all updated on my journey of reading as many issues and volumes as I can. Let me know if you've read any of the Rebirth volumes or issues just yet. 


Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment