Friday #56, #24 Copper Sun by Sharon M. Draper

The Friday #56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's VoiceJoin in every Friday and share an excerpt from a book you've been reading. Here are the rules:

  • Grab a book 
  • Turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader
  • Find any sentence (or a few, don't spoil it) 

**Be sure to post the links to your Friday #56 below!



Happy Reading!

In honor of Black History Month, I decided to spotlight a book that I'm currently reading for my book club at work. This book is powerful in more than one way. It doesn't shy away from details and it definitely doesn't shy away from historical fact. I love historical fiction books and this one is definitely up my ally. It's a great read, but I would be lying if I said parts of it didn't break me heart because it definitely does. I'm loving it, but it is tragic in it's own way. If you like historical fiction I would definitely recommend reading Amari's story.

"Afi was right. The next night the kindly reheaded sailor was nowhere to be seen. Amari was taken to a filthy corner of the ship by a dark-haired, skinny sailor who used her, hurt her, and tossed her back on the deck, bruised and bleeding, all of her dreams finally and forever destroyed. Afi said nothing but held Amari and rocked her until her tears stopped flowing."



Amari's life was once perfect. Engaged to the handsomest man in her tribe, adored by her family, and living in a beautiful village, she could not have imagined everything could be taken away from her in an instant. But when slave traders invade her village and brutally murder her entire family, Amari finds herself dragged away to a slave ship headed to the Carolinas, where she is bought by a plantation owner and given to his son as a birthday present.
Survival seems all that Amari can hope for. But then an act of unimaginable cruelty provides her with an opportunity to escape, and with an indentured servant named Polly she flees to Fort Mose, Florida, in search of sanctuary at the Spanish colony. Can the elusive dream of freedom sustain Amari and Polly on their arduous journey, fraught with hardship and danger?




Share:

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh I feel for Amari. Sounds like a book you might need tissues for, but they can often be really good stories.
    I added you to the Linky.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete