TLC Book Tour: Stepping to a New Day by Beverly Jenkins



Okay guys I'm back with another tour! Below you'll find information about the book, author, and a full review. I hope you enjoy! : )



Publication: 2016
# of Pages: 304
Source: Review Copy 


In Henry Adams, Kansas, you can’t start over without stirring things up . . .
Many a good woman has had to leave a no-good man, but how many of them took a backseat to his six-hundred-pound hog? On her own for the first time, Genevieve Gibbs is ecstatic, even if certain people preferred the doormat version of Ms. Gibbs. Finding someone who appreciates the “new” her has only just hit Gen’s to-do list when T. C. Barbour appears in her life.

A tiny Kansas town is a far cry from his native Oakland, California, but it’s just the change T. C. needs. While helping his divorced nephew acclimate to single fatherhood, T. C. lands a gig driving a limo for the most powerful woman in Henry Adams. It’s a great way to meet people—and one in particular has already made the job worthwhile. All it takes is a short trip from the airport for Genevieve to snag T. C.’s attention for good. But it wouldn’t be Henry Adams without adding more drama to the mix. When Gen’s ex Riley returns with his hog in tow, it sets off a chain of events that can ruin everything—unless the residents pull together once again to save the day.


What can I say about this book except that it was super cute and contained a wonderful story line. Jenkins introduces the reader to host of amazing characters that reside in a tiny Kansas town that was founded by a group of free African-Americans. It is difficult for me to admit this, but after reading the synopsis I did not think I would enjoy this book, but I flew through it in a couple of days. The beauty in which Jenkins creates her characters left me wanting more each time I put the book down. Their issues are realistic and prove to be easy to relate to for people of all ages and backgrounds. One of my favorite aspects of this book was the sense of unity and community created by the people of Henry Adams. In this day and generation it can be difficult to find communities that bond together and stick together through life's ups and downs. I, like one of the main characters, found that their ability to forgive and move forward was truly rewarding. It was the lightness and the optimism of the characters that made this book fun and overall enjoyable. To be quite honest I learned a couple of things especially the idea that sometimes kindness is better than being right all the time. My favorite character of this entire novel definitely was Genevieve. Even in her age she sought to live her life for herself after making so many mistakes along the way. I, too, have made a great many of mistakes, have been hurt, and destroyed in ways I can not even begin to discuss. However, Genevieve's character taught me that sometimes you have to push everything and everyone aside and live a life that makes you happy. When you are able to do something like that everything else eventually falls into place. I admired that quality in her and it was truly rewarding to read about such a powerful, strong woman. 

The only issue I think that I found in this book was that things were almost too perfect. Some resolutions came to easily for some characters especially Riley; however, I think that overall the positive atmosphere in the book really draws readers in and leaves them wanting more from these community members of Henry Adams. To be quite honest, I want more from Ms. Jenkins and I cannot wait to see if there is another book that will let readers know how all the characters managed to live their lives after the conclusion of this novel. I've been looking at the other novels in the series and I definitely look forward to reading some more of Ms. Jenkin's work. If you are looking for a fun, contemporary book with a close knit community I would surely recommend this series. 




Beverly Jenkins has received numerous awards, including five Waldenbooks/Borders Group Romantic Times Magazine, and a Golden Pen Award from the Black Writer's Guild. Ms. Jenkins was named one of the Top Fifty Favorite African-American writers of the 20th century by AABLC, the nation's largest on-line African-American book club. She was recently nominated for the NAACP Image Award in Literature.

Find out more about Beverly at her website and connect with her on Facebook and Twitter.


Share:

1 comment:

  1. Genevieve is a character I want to get to know. She and I have a few things in common for sure!

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete