Can't Wait Wednesday #28, The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo


Can't Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Tressa over at Wishful Endings She has taken on a similar meme to Jills Waiting on Wednesday over at Breaking the Spine. Since Jill hasn't posted in a while I'm going to join in on this meme. To participate all you have to do is spotlight upcoming publications you're eagerly anticipating. Keep reading to see what I have chosen for this week.

Series: N/A
# of Pages: 368
Publication: March 6th, 2018 
Goodreads | Amazon 
A young girl in Harlem discovers slam poetry as a way to understand her mother’s religion and her own relationship to the world. Debut novel of renowned slam poet Elizabeth Acevedo. Xiomara Batista feels unheard and unable to hide in her Harlem neighborhood. Ever since her body grew into curves, she has learned to let her fists and her fierceness do the talking. But Xiomara has plenty she wants to say, and she pours all her frustration and passion onto the pages of a leather notebook, reciting the words to herself like prayers—especially after she catches feelings for a boy in her bio class named Aman, who her family can never know about. With Mami’s determination to force her daughter to obey the laws of the church, Xiomara understands that her thoughts are best kept to herself. So when she is invited to join her school’s slam poetry club, she doesn’t know how she could ever attend without her mami finding out, much less speak her words out loud. But still, she can’t stop thinking about performing her poems. Because in the face of a world that may not want to hear her, Xiomara refuses to be silent.

Okay first things can please admire the beauty of this cover?!? It's absolutely beautiful. I am a huge fan of slam poetry so when I heard that this book would surround slam poetry I knew that I needed to get my hands on it. I think it also deals heavily with racial identity and that definitely is up my alley. They were giving away arcs of it at YallFest; however, I wasn't able to get my hands on it so I'm super excited for the official release.

What are you waiting for this Wednesday?
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment