The End of Oz by Danielle Paige



Published: March 14, 2017 
# of Pages: 304 
Source: Library Copy 
Genre: YA Fantasy
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository 


Ding dong—Dorothy is dead.

I watched as the Emerald Palace crumbled to the ground, burying Dorothy, the Girl Who Rode the Cyclone, under the rubble. And now that the rightful ruler, Ozma, has been restored to the throne…

Oz is finally free.

My name is Amy Gumm. You might remember me as the othergirl from Kansas. When a tornado whisked me away to the magical land of Oz, I was given a mission: Dorothy must die.

But it turns out girls from Kansas are harder to kill than we look.

Now the Road of Yellow Brick is leading me away from Oz to the dark world of Ev, where I have a new, powerful enemy to deal with: the Nome King. And—surprise—he has a gingham-clad bride.

With my magical shoes and a shrinking group of allies, I have one final chance to fulfill my mission, and save not only what’s left of Oz, but Kansas, too. As the line between Good and Wicked blurs even further, I have to find a way to get rid of Dorothy once and for all—without turning into a monster myself.

Dorothy once said there’s no place like home. Can I stop her from destroying mine?


This conclusion of the Dorothy Must Die series was definitely a tad bit different than the picture I painted in my head; however, I must say that it was well-written and contained a much better story-line than the third book. It still doesn't hold a candle to the first two books; however, it was an interesting conclusion with unexpected twists and turns. 

One of the most engaging aspects of this books definitely came in the form of a living and breathing Dorothy. Not only has the wicked, cruel woman survived, but she also gets her own perspective. At first, reading and getting a grasp of Dorothy's voice proved to be rather difficult; however, for some odd reason I grew adjusted to it and actually enjoyed her ridiculous perspective of everything that was occurring around her. She was just as clueless and self-absorbed as she was in the first few books and I ABSOLUTLEY LOVED IT! I know it may sound weird that I actually enjoyed a character that was all about self; however, you must understand Dorothy's extremely awkward sense of humor. She's crass, selfish, conceited, and just around awful, but it's hilarious and I was definitely glad to see her back in the action. We are also introduced to some new characters that I definitely enjoyed seeing incorporated into the framework of the story. 

Unfortunately what I didn't necessarily enjoy about the book came from the fact that the series was three books. Once again, I didn't think or feel like that was necessary to the development of the plot. I still, in this moment, do not understand the inclusion of the Nome King to the series. Granted he plays a role in the original books by Frank L. Baum; however, he just didn't seem to serve a purpose in this book. We, as readers, find out that he's after Dorothy's shoes, but we never learn if he can even truly utilize them to his full advantage. There were a lot of loose strings concerning this character and quite frankly it really seemed as though he was added as filler. Thankfully, it wasn't as bad to see him incorporated into this book as the one before. 

Overall, I think that this conclusions illustrated the better aspects of Danielle Paige's writing. The plot was quick-paced, there was a lot of humor, and just enough darkness to make the story twisted. Nevertheless, I don't think I'll every be as enthralled as I was with the first book. If you enjoyed the series I would definitely recommend reading this book for the simple fact that it does contain a lot of good elements that the third book missed. There are new characters, some romance, adventure, and new revelations: everything that a conclusion should contain. Nevertheless, I have this feeling we may see more from this world in the future. There are still some unanswered questions about both Kansas and Oz. 



Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment