The Friday #56, #6 My True Love Gave to Me by Stephanie Perkins

The Friday #56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice. Join in every Friday and share an excerpt from the book you've been reading. Here are the rules:


  • Grab a book, any book 
  • Turn to page 56 or 56% in your e-reader 
  • Find any sentence (or a few, don't spoil it) that grab you
  • Post it
**Be sure to the post the link to your Friday 56 comments below.

Happy Reading!!

So this week I decided to take an excerpt from My True Love Gave to Me which is a compilation of twelve short holiday stories edited by Stephanie Perkins. I was looking forward to reading this book since Christmas; however, it is falling slightly short of my expectations. Some of the stories are great; however, others fall short and would have been better if they were full length novels.

"But at the same time, all of us were aware that I'd failed to learn the one thing that dined Espinoza men: the ability to work with one's hand. Pops had tried to show me how to change the oil in his truck, how to strip shingles off an angled roof and lay hot tar, how to rewire a dead outlet, but it didn't take long for him to realize I was a lost cause. My one talent in life? Filling in those little bubbles on Scantron sheets."
This was an excerpt from from "Angels in the Snow" by Matt de la Pena which is one of my favorite stories in the entire book. I'm almost finished with the book so hopefully the last few stories turn out to be really good. I'll be doing a full review with a break down of each story soon.

Synopsis

If you love holiday stories, holiday movies, made-for-TV holiday specials, holiday episodes of your favorite sitcoms, and, especially, if you love holiday anthologies, you're going to fall in love with My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories by twelve bestselling young adult writers, edited by international bestselling Stephanie Perkins. Whether you enjoy celebrating Christmas or Hanukkah, Winter Solstice or New Year's, there's something here for everyone. So curl up by the fireplace and get cozy. You have twelve reasons this season to stay indoors and fall in love.
Share:

2 comments:

  1. I saw this book during the holidays and thought it looked to be a great read. Still do. :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the past two holiday seasons I've been telling myself to pick this up! The stories seem so cute, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe 2016 is the year? :)

    ReplyDelete