A is for Audra: Broadway's Leading Ladies from A to Z by John Allman & First Snow by Bomi Park

Series: N/A
# of Pages: 48
Publication: November 12th, 2019
Source: Library
Genre: Non-Fiction Picture Book
Goodreads | Amazon 

From Audra McDonald to Liza with a "Z," this is a rythmic alphabet book featuring your favorite leading ladies of the Broadway stage! Start with "A" for six-time Tony Award winner Audra McDonald, then sing and dance your way through the alphabet with entertainers like Carol Channing, Angela Lansbury, Patti LuPone, Bernadette Peters, Chita Rivera, Lea Salonga, and Liza Minnelli!




A is for Audra is an amazing picture book that I found via my library's website. Every couple of weeks or so, I go searching for picture books that are considered new releases. While looking on the website I found this title and was instantly intrigued by the title. While I do not consider myself a huge fan of Broadway (I've seen a few off Broadway performances), I thought that I had some working knowledge of ladies that have graced the stage. I couldn't have been more wrong. I learned so much from reading this book and have been so grateful that I even took the time to request it and read it. The format of the book is based on a poem that they author has written in which he highlights a specific lady of Broadway based on the letter of the alphabet. He gives information about their performance, role, and year that they stared in that performance. I was even surprised to learn so much about individuals I was already familiar with including big names like Julie Andrews. I had no idea that she played the original Eliza Doolittle. I often associated the role with Audrey Hepburn. While the poem itself was a little clunky at times, I did love that the author made it a point to include a wide range of individuals from different time periods and individuals from different races/backgrounds. The artwork was phenomenal as well. I have found in my experience of reading picture books that some people are opposed to the digitally rendered images, but I really enjoy them and it assisted the artist in making the representations of the women look like their real-life counterparts. If you've never read this book or if you're looking for a great non-fiction book to give to children I would definitely recommend checking this one out. It was amazing. 






Series: N/A
# of Pages: 40
Publication: September 6th, 2016 
Source: Library 
Genre: Picture Book 

Look out. Now look up. From the sky one flake falls, then another. And just like that—it's snowing. In this beautiful book from debut creator Bomi Park, a young girl wakes up to the year's first snowy day. From her initial glimpse out the window to her poignant adventures—rolling a snowman, making snow angels—the girl's quiet quests are ones all young readers will recognize. Simple, muted text and exquisite, evocative art conjure the excitement of a day spent exploring the wonder of snow—and the magic that, sometimes literally, such a day brings. As subtly joyful as a snow day itself, this book will find its home in the hearts of young adventurers everywhere.





First Snow was another picture book that I found via my library. I was checking in picture books from a patron and I thought that it looked interesting. First Snow captures the experience of child and the first snow of winter. I had to read the story twice before I truly grasped the purpose because it is almost a wordless picture book. I loved that the artwork which was mainly done in black, white, and red emphasized the coldness and stillness of winter, but I didn't really connect with the story. There are people who love it and praise the magical feelings they get from reading this book; however, I didn't feel the same connection. I believe that a lot of that stems from the fact that I don't have vivid memories of "first snow" or snow in general. I have spent most of my life growing up in the South and we're lucky if it snows every 5-10 years. Because I didn't feel the nostalgia that a lot of readers have experienced I think that I missed the special feelings of the book. While I think that this is an interesting book, I don't necessarily believe that it evokes the same experience for every reader. 




Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment