Media Monday #1

So I decided to start this new thing on both my Youtube channel and my blog called Media Monday. I wanted to try something a little different so I set a goal for myself to watch every movie that has ever gotten an Academy Award for Best Picture and every album that has gotten a Grammy for Album of the Year as well as some of the albums that were nominated. So let's go ahead and get started.




The Artist was the 2011 Academy Award winner. It explores the end of silent films twoards what was then called "speakies." Let me start by saying the concept of this film was brilliant. It gave you the feel of an old silent film as the entire thing was shot in black and white and there were no voices present (only sporadic subtitles). It definitely deserved the award based on creativity alone. The story line was cute/humorous and I really enjoyed watching it. 



Grammy Album of the Year: 1989 - Taylor Swift

Favorite Songs
  • Out of the Woods: Speaks to the difficulty of relationships. One of her more mature relationship songs. The melody is beautiful. 
  • Wildest Dreams: One of the most beautiful songs on the album. Truly heartbreaking. It's about falling in love and knowing when to let go. 
  • Clean: One of the most lyrically compelling songs of the album. I loved the water reference to becoming clean and free of an old love. 
Worst Songs
  • All You Had To Do Was Stay: Typical Taylor Swift song. There is nothing special about the lyrics or the music.
  • Shake It Off: I know this is Taylor's anthem about not worrying what people think but I just didn't like it. 
Overall Thoughts: I think that Taylor Swift won because her album is universal and something that has great radio play; however, I don't think it should have won the Grammy. There is nothing in particular that makes it stand out. Nevertheless, I did enjoy listening to it and seeing her development as a musical artist. 



Nominee Album: To Pimp A Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar 


Favorite Songs:
  • These Walls: The jazz feel to this is beautiful and clearly discusses the question of one's existence. 
  • "U": It spoke to me as soon as he said "loving you is complicated." I think this has a bit to do with Kendrick's guilt at being successful and leaving people behind. 
  • Alright: No matter what we go through we will be alright in the end. I absolutely love the meaning behind this song. 
  • Hood Politics: I just have to include this lyrics for this one -- "Streets don't fail me now, they tell me it's a new gang in town. From Compton to Congress, set trippin' all around. Ain't nothing new, but a flue of new Demo-Crips and Re-Blood-licans. Red state versus a blue state, which one you governin'? They give us guns and drugs, call us thugs. Make it they promise to f*** with you. No condom, they f*** with you, Obama say, 'What it do?'"
  • The Blacker the Berry: Just go listen to this song. 
Worst Songs:
  • NONE

Overall Thoughts: I LOVE this album and I think it should have won, but I understand why it didn't. It is not a universal album, but it does break barriers and makes people think about the black experience in America. I loved the creativity and lyricism behind it. It clearly is a work of art and maybe people will appreciate it's full beauty one day. 






Share:

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I really love The Artist; I should rewatch it soon! I've never actually listened to the full 1989 album even though I've owned it for forever. I don't like All You Had to do Was Stay or Welcome to New York.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like All You Had To Do Was Stay. I like the beat of Welcome to NY, but I don't get the lyrics haha.

      Delete